The Most Effective Friction-Reducing Modality for the Foot
The PTFE PatchTM provides a simple solution to the common, yet serious problems of calluses, blisters and foot ulcers. These skin conditions are often addressed only through pressure reduction. However, friction is also a major factor causing skin failure. PTFE Patches reduce friction, aid in prevention, and create a better healing environment for calluses, blisters, and foot ulcers.
How Does The PTFE Patch Work?
PTFE Patches reduce the coeffiecient of friction dramatically to decrease skin trauma. Adding a PTFE Patch reduces friction under the skin and can improve the effectiveness of other callus, ulcer, or blister preventions or treatments.
These self-adhesive patches are durable, flexible, and thin. Application does not affect fit or function of orthoses, shoes, or insoles.
Application and Replacement
Orthotics or insoles should be worn for several days before PTFE Patch application to ensure proper placement in the location of maximum irritation. Application is simple: remove the backing, apply the patch and press firmly around the edges. PTFE Patches often last many months depending on activity, and should be removed and replaced if worn, torn, or loose. Use a heat gun to slightly warm the old patch and loosen the adhesive for easier removal. Do not apply to the skin or on vinyl surfaces.
PTFE Patch Facts
- PTFE Patches relieve friction and shear forces to support a better healing environment on the plantar foot.
- PTFE Patches are self-adhesive for easy application to any area of an orthotic, shoe or insole to reduce the chance of skin failure due to friction.
- PTFE Patches can be applied to diabetic shoe insoles in common areas of callus or ulcer formation.
- PTFE Patches are water and sweat resistant, giving them a very low coefficient of friction even when wet.
- PTFE Patches combined with an offloading orthotic can neutralize the primary causes of calluses and ulcers, namely horizontal (shear) and vertical (pressure) stresses.
- PTFE Patches are latex-free
PTFE Patches are precut and ready-to-use, and can be easily trimmed for custom needs. They are available in three sizes:
- small ovals for the hallux or a single metatarsal head (2″ x 1.5″)
- large ovals for multiple metatarsal heads (2.75″ x 1.5″)
- 1st ray patches for the medial forefoot area, including the hallux and 1st and 2nd metatarsal heads (3.5″ x 2.5″)
Visit the PTFE Patch website (https://ptfepatch.com) for additional information or to place an order.
Read Dr. Paul R. Scherer’s article, The Case for Friction Management
ProLab clients – use the Materials Order Form to order PTFE Patches or contact Client Services.
PTFE Patches distributed exclusively by ProLab Orthotics